[impdev] Pango

Armin Weatherwax armin.weatherwax at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 26 01:51:26 PST 2009

Hi,

Crashmasing the 64bit viewer I came along some pango issues, and I think
also the forum post "Unreadable import and backup search widows (fonts
lacking?)" (see
http://imprudenceviewer.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=291#p1754 ) is
about that.

Pango looks for a pangorc file at where it's told from ./configure
which  defaults to /usr/local/etc/pango
The pangorc  - file points  to a pango.modules file, which then points
to the modules. If one of them is not found you get squares instead of
a font.
Configuring pango to look at  /etc/pango let's pango find the systems
pango modules on a 32bit Linux.
On a 64bit Linux  there are 32bit and 64bit libs,
Debianesque and Gentooesque systems have a symbolic link from lib64 to
lib and have 32bit libs in lib32 - Opensuse (and maybe other rpm
Linuces, dunno) has 32bit libs in lib and 64bit libs in lib64.
The pangorc file now points to /usr/lib/pango ... and that for gets
64bit libs on Gentoo and Debian and 32 ones on Opensuse.

Fortunately pango gets the environment variable PANGO_RC_FILE
and we can direct it to our own pangorc which then points to our own
pango.modules which then coud point eiter to our own modules or nowhere
(depending on if we have loadable modules or build in ones).
Having the modules built in doesn't prevent pango from looking for
loadable ones.

Questions are:
*If pango loads (and depends on) a system wide pango modules - does it
make sense to have an own pango at all? (thats state of now)

*If we have our pango have its own modules and not the system ones
(different from now) - do we want them loadable or build in?

* and then - where do we keep all that new files (at least pangorc and
pango.modules; eventually a folder with the modules)?
(Atm  I have pangorc and pango.modules in app_settings and the modules
build in.)

:)
Armin