[impdev] Release candidates for 1.2?

Adric R hakushakukun at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 07:06:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Armin Weatherwax <
armin.weatherwax at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jacek Antonelli schrieb:
>
> > 1) Do release candidates ahead of time, try to fix all the bugs so
> > that the 1.2 final release is very solid. This is what we've done for
> > the past two releases.
> > 2) Release 1.2 as it is, then if there are bugs, release 1.2.1,
> > 1.2.2, etc. until they are fixed.
>
> My user point of view: I need two viewers. One which I can rely on not
> crashing (to often). The other one to have all that new features ...
> where I don't mind when things are under development.
>
> >From that 1) for a stable viewer. For the yeah-new-feature viewer I'd
> prefere "beta" snapshots every now and then.
>
> Armin

I agree with this. I was thinking that--if we can--we should release a
1.23-based Imprudence viewer as a test build along with 1.2, if for no other
reason than LL suddenly decided to surprise us by making 1.23-based
adults-only viewers the new defacto mandatory on the 15th.

How often do you want to release a snapshot? Every one week, two? Or every
so often when we get a lot of features going? For me, it'd be nice to have
some sort of schedule, but that's how I work.

@Jacek: are we still doing nightly source drops? I just realized I haven't
merged back into my "next" branch in forever...

--
"Work is love made visible." — Kahlil Gibran

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear
into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and
remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared
to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the
moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot
escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the
Republic to abdicate his responsibility." -- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954