[impdev] New merge process for contributing code

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:23:00 PST 2010

Greetings, friends!

For most of Imprudence's history, the merge process has been very
informal, because it was mostly just McCabe and I working on it, and
we could keep in touch and chat about what was ready to be merged.
But, with more people getting involved in the project, we need to
establish a (slightly) more formal merge process to keep things
organized and make sure nothing is forgotten.

I've updated the Contributing Code wiki page (formerly "Submitting
patches") to describe the new process for contributors to submit your
code to be merged into Imprudence:

  http://imprudenceviewer.org/wiki/Contributing_Code#How_to_Contribute_Code

Basically, you should create an issue on our issue tracker. Or, if
there is an existing issue related to your change, update it. You
should post information about where to find your code, ideally a
"topic branch" in a Git repository. Or, if you would prefer to submit
it as a patch, attach it as a file to the issue. Finally, set the
issue status to "Ready to Merge". I would also encourage you to send a
message to this mailing list to make sure everyone is aware of it.

I've set up a search query on the issue tracker to show all issues
that are Ready to Merge. You can select "Ready to Merge" from the
"Custom queries" sidebar on the issues list, or visit this link:

  http://redmine.imprudenceviewer.org/projects/imprudence/issues?query_id=13

Hopefully this process will be helpful, and not too burdensome!

- Jacek