[impdev] Question about libfaad

Armin Weatherwax armin.weatherwax at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 18 01:08:05 PDT 2010

Hi Matthew,

hope you can help me: I'm contributing to a cross-platform gpl project
http://imprudenceviewer.org/ providing a 3d client to connect to
virtual world simulators like OpenSimulator (
http://opensimulator.org/ ) and SecondLife.com. Within the simulation
also streaming media can be played (e.g. 30 sec  video to demonstrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpt7ZwXF5gA ).

For that we atm package up gstreamer as the media backend for all
platforms. But without any libfaad and related plugins, which makes our
users unhappy since more and more video content is using AAC sound.
Well, for the Linux users the easy solution is just to let them install
it from their package manager - but thats sadly still a minority of
people.

So we are trying to find out if we can package libfaad with our
binaries, but what google reveals is old and at best ambigous.
Being a Debian user since several  years  I argue that a library in
debian/main has no licensing/patent issue - so I got the job to ask how
it was solved in Debian.

So i ask. How was it solved?

Thanks for helping  and best regards
Armin