[impdev] Cherry picking commits from the weeklies

Adric R hakushakukun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:27:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Jacek Antonelli <jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I've been looking over the commits on the weeklies, in order to
> backport the good ones for beta 5. I have questions about some of the
> commits, hopefully you guys can provide some insight:
>
> What are the reasons for these commits being reverted later? Should I
> keep them or omit them?
>
>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/8fe81ea : Changed the
> default minimize position to the top left so it doesn't block chat
> anymore

Can be removed from history if you want, it was reverted because it ended up
getting in the way of people's mini-maps.

>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/cbcb2a2 : Applied patch
> by Robin Cornelius for SNOW-693: Corrupt assets crash viewer with
> openjpeg

Reverted because it caused a memory leak. Might be useful to keep around to
compare later if the cause of the leak can be found. Seems to be sporadic
(at least I didn't get it on Windows). Armin did, and other people confirmed
it on the forums.

> What is the reason for this being reverted later, and then un-reverted
> again? Should I keep it?
>
>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/cdd1c1b : Automatically
> try logging in again if 'Login Failed. You appear to be already logged
> in' error happens on OpenSim

Reverted because opensim also has an issue that causes the viewer to
"mysteriously quit" on login (what
5bb9fbc<http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/5bb9fbc>was part of
fixing). Unreverted when the other issue was fixed.

> What are the statuses of these commits? Do they help? Should I keep them?
>
>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/b9798d1 : Stops an
> avatar's texture from flickering on OS but leaves behind the corrupt
> texture until they rebake. A half-fix at best. Maybe. Revert if it
> causes problems

Necessary until a better fix can be found.

>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/f19d234 : Test commit:
> check to see what happens if we comment out the flashing fix
>
> What's the reason for this being UDPBlackListed? Is this something LL
> changed?

It's something LL changed after 1.23 for security reasons (see Snowglobe).

 * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/90bd91f : Added menu
> entry for Private Look At, made it so you can't have Show Look At and
> Private Look At enabled at the same time

The rationale comes from combat sims, where people use show look at to cheat
while masking their own show look at beacon, and because people get creeped
out by the idea that someone could be tracking where you're looking while
you can't them. For the menu entry, it's that nobody's going to find the
debug setting for PrivateLookAtTarget, let alone even remember what it was
called from the release notes. We got positive feedback after adding the
easy option to opt-out.

> What's the purpose of this commit? Is it ready for the mainline?
>
>  * http://github.com/mccabe/imprudence/commit/5bb9fbc : wip forcing
> region disconnects to log you out

Can squash it with the other changes that finished this branch if you want,
but this change keeps the viewer from "crashing" (forceDisconnecting) when
an opensim screws up presence data after a user crashes/logs out or
teleports. I'd say it's ready, it went through a lot of testing. We might
want to make it so it resets the progress bar and perhaps figure out a more
intuitive notification later, but it takes multiple failed login attempts
before you really notice the progress bar doesn't reset back to 0 after
being sent to the login screen, so I don't see that as a blocker.

> - Jacek

-- MC

--
"Work is love made visible." — Kahlil Gibran

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear
into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and
remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared
to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the
moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot
escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the
Republic to abdicate his responsibility." -- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954