[impdev] Important note for those who use git

Aleric Inglewood aleric.inglewood at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:14:52 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Aleric Inglewood
<aleric.inglewood at gmail.com> wrote:
> however-- if you still  have branches laying around*)

Ah, I forgot add that footnote...

*) It came to my attention that many developers have a lot
of old branches laying around that are long merged in
and are simply outdated and old.

Please remove them!

A safe way to remove a branch locally is:

git branch -d BRANCHNAME

which will complain if that branch wasn't merged completely.
However, if it wasn't, but you still are sure you won't use it
anymore, you can delete it with 'git branch -D BRANCNAME'

However, this does NOT remove that branch from github!

To see all remote branches, type:

git branch -r

This will list ALL remote branches, not just your own.
Hopefully now you will understand why it's nice to
delete you old branches from github: they pollute this
output for everyone (and their tags are laying around
in everyone's 'gitk' output and equivalent) AND they
heavily pollute the Network feature results on github :(

Lets assume you see YOURNAME/OLDBRANCH
and you wish to remove it. Then type:

git push YOURNAME :OLDBRANCH

Note the leading semi-colon in front of :OLDBRANCH!
YOURNAME is your (exporting) remote.

Thanks for cleaning up!
Aleric

(Ie, and those are JUST the people I'm following; the
Network output of github is polluted by EVERYONE):

  arminw/1.2.1-linux64
  arminw/1.2.2-linux64
  arminw/1.3-mplugins-exp
  arminw/1.3.0beta4-linux64