[impdev] LLKDU

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 10:01:24 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Phoenix Desmoulins
<phoenix.desmoulins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Jacek Antonelli
> <jacek.antonelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tomorrow is Saturday, when we usually release a new Experimental.
>> Additionally, 1.3 RC3 is 99.9% done, and I'd like to release it very
>> soon, too. So, the question is whether we should cripple these two
>> versions by disabling KDU, or not. If we do cripple them, it will
>> cause serious problems for many users. If we don't cripple them, LL
>> might get a bit annoyed at us, but I don't think they'd do anything
>> yet.
>>
>> Weighing the two options, it seems clear to me that _not_ crippling
>> these versions is more practical. But, I want to hear your guys'
>> opinions (other team members and anyone else who cares to speak up)
>> before we make a final decision about it. What say you?
>>

> Do it sooner, rather than later.  Delaying the pain doesn't really win us
> anything long-term, does it? Showing good faith with the Lindens now may
> give us some wiggle room should we ever need it later.

In the long term, no. But delaying for a while will give us some time
to try to get OpenJPEG working better (or in the case of Mac, to
replace it with a system library). I suppose we could avoid upsetting
both LL and our users by postponing new releases until the situation
is resolved. But, I'm not inclined to toss out our plans just because
of a spurious GPL violation claim.

I hope the Lindens will recognize the good faith we are demonstrating
by being willing to remove LLKDU support in the near future, even
though the GPL does not require us to do so, merely out of
consideration for their sensitive legal situation. I'd say that's more
good faith than they are showing us, waving paper tigers around to try
to scare us.

- Jacek