[impdev] LLKDU

Jason Shipley shipley.jason at aliensignals.com
Sat Sep 18 12:05:48 PDT 2010

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:01:24 -0500, Jacek Antonelli
<jacek.antonelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Phoenix Desmoulins
> <phoenix.desmoulins at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Jacek Antonelli
>> <jacek.antonelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tomorrow is Saturday, when we usually release a new Experimental.
>>> Additionally, 1.3 RC3 is 99.9% done, and I'd like to release it very
>>> soon, too. So, the question is whether we should cripple these two
>>> versions by disabling KDU, or not. If we do cripple them, it will
>>> cause serious problems for many users. If we don't cripple them, LL
>>> might get a bit annoyed at us, but I don't think they'd do anything
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> Weighing the two options, it seems clear to me that _not_ crippling
>>> these versions is more practical. But, I want to hear your guys'
>>> opinions (other team members and anyone else who cares to speak up)
>>> before we make a final decision about it. What say you?
>>>

>> Do it sooner, rather than later.  Delaying the pain doesn't really win
>> us
>> anything long-term, does it? Showing good faith with the Lindens now may
>> give us some wiggle room should we ever need it later.
>>

> In the long term, no. But delaying for a while will give us some time
> to try to get OpenJPEG working better (or in the case of Mac, to
> replace it with a system library). I suppose we could avoid upsetting
> both LL and our users by postponing new releases until the situation
> is resolved. But, I'm not inclined to toss out our plans just because
> of a spurious GPL violation claim.
>
> I hope the Lindens will recognize the good faith we are demonstrating
> by being willing to remove LLKDU support in the near future, even
> though the GPL does not require us to do so, merely out of
> consideration for their sensitive legal situation. I'd say that's more
> good faith than they are showing us, waving paper tigers around to try
> to scare us.
>
> - Jacek

I have to second Jacek's notion of waiting until it's totally necessary to
remove LLKDU support altogether.  It's hard for me to be objective as I'm
more disenchanted (I'm using nice, civilized language there) with the
Linden circus than ever.  However, Imp is by far the best thing happening
for SL's discerning residents and Linden's withering popularity, and the
current degree of "good faith" being demonstrated by the Imp team is more
than Linden deserves.  Honestly, if the GPL doesn't legally bind YOU (the
IMP devs) remove LLKDU then Linden needs to face their own cock-up and be
-gently- reminded that taking it out on the Imprudence project is only
going to generate more bad publicity for them which is something they need
to be avoiding.  No doubt, the Imp team will work around this hurdle
brilliantly, but give yourselves some thinking space and just be careful
of papercuts.  I'm going to stick with Imp no matter what - speed bumps ;)
and all, but we should all help to keep the project's momentum
consistent.  Seems like the trend of good ideas fizzling out in SL these
days is having their momentum killed...

As always, thanks for a great viewer.

- Jason