[impdev] What to do with the forums?

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:30:43 PDT 2011

What a wierd post, Jacek!  I tend to side with the dev viewpoint because of
personal background, but I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here.

To paraphrase it rather uncharitably, you seem to be saying "Our community
is happily communicating using our ad hoc medium X, but we want the
straightjacket medium Y which is better for developers, feedback please".
You give no justification for Y as a community medium, and there is no
indication whatsoever that the community outside devs has the remotest bit
of interest in Y.  I'm sure that you have good dev reasons for Y, but unless
the community shares those reasons, you're not heading for a winning
strategy,

Now I understand the purpose of an appropriate medium for development, or
several of them, because development is a very focused discipline.  But that
is leagues away from a friendly community medium, and I think you may be
mixing the two in your mind.  The vast majority of Impy and future Kokua
"feedback people" are not going to be developers, they're going to be users
with varying degrees of technical awareness.  Devs are the minority.  You
need both.  You need the buzz of non-devs chatting to each other and
reinforcing their interest.

The blog is not a community medium.  It's a top-down announcement delivery
system which marginalizes the community, because all community input is
effectively lost as soon as the next blog post appears.  It would be a
severe mistake to replace the forums with the blog, exactly the same mistake
that Linden Lab made.  Their old forums were extremely vibrant and full of
detailed community communication, whereas their new "forums" (which are
really just a blog) are completely and utterly useless except for a few
people who use them for ranting.  Linden wanted control and  focus, and as a
result they now own a wasteland.

Imprudence has a great community at present.  Don't lose that just because
you feel a manager's need for restructuring.

Dev and community communications don't work the same way.  I would not
advise trying to merge them into a single "efficient" system, because you
risk losing something valuable.

Morgaine.