[impdev] Windows build issues

Adric R hakushakukun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:52:31 PDT 2011

Are you using SP1 of the express edition? Just want to make sure off the
bat, because you'll get runtime errors if not.

Anyway, some more info. VSTool will fail for express editions because you
can't set the startup project with it (should be imprudence-bin). That's
normal. VC++ Express is also missing the redistributable files the full
version has, so when you try to copy them it'll fail. The link for the
redist is in the compile instructions, and it tries to copy them in
CopyWinLibs.cmake.

Are you building 1.3 or 1.4?

Here're the in-development compile instructions for both:

http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Compiling/1.3/Windows<http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Compiling/1.4/Windows>
http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Compiling/1.4/Windows

If the info about the redist isn't in there, it definitely needs to be
added! Info also needs to be added to 1.3 that in order for the package
project to run without errors, you need NSIS Unicode installed even though
we use ISS instead.

For 1.3, you need
imprudence-bin.exe.config, Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest, msvcp80.dll,
and msvcr80.dll in the executable directory. You can open imprudence-bin.exe
in the resource editor and make sure the embedded manifest is looking for
the right version of the CRT you have installed (should be .4053 for VC++
2005 SP1, I think).

For 1.4, we don't distribute private assemblies anymore (i.e. the built-in
.config generating system. I forget exactly why we don't, I think it was
some sort of weird dependency issue) so any .config files the build system
generates will probably cause you errors. Try deleting them and seeing if it
works then. (If you want to use private assemblies instead, the build system
prolly needs updating to support plugins. I'd look into how Snowglobe 1.5
did it then update Imp.)

Are you using NSIS or ISS for your installer? Because we've been using ISS,
so the Linden NSIS installer script probably needs some work before it'll
work correctly. Hell, the packaging system's still pretty awkward for 1.4 on
Windows (you build the package project, let it fail, then run the ISS
script), so I'm not surprised you're having issues with it. It *definitely*
needs some work!

That help at all?

-- MC

--
"Work is love made visible." — Kahlil Gibran

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear
into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and
remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared
to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the
moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot
escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the
Republic to abdicate his responsibility." -- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954