[impdev] OTR

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 12:59:49 PDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:58:59 -0700 Adric R <hakushakukun at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As I mentioned to Chris when I caught him inworld, I think OTR would
> fit in well with our concerns for user privacy, particularly since
> while most everyone trusts Linden Labs with their IMs, visiting new
> unknown grids tends to make people think twice. So I'd consider that
> interest. I can think of a few people right off the bat who'll
> appreciate having the feature in Imp.

Actually, lots of people have major trust issues with LL.  I think
that's why OTR on Emerald became so popular in the first place.  I
don't think open sim HAS an easy way of snooping on other peoples IMs.
It's open source though, so would be easy to hack that on.

> Have you seen this page on our wiki:
> http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Contributing_Code? It
> contains our code submission guidelines as well as the process we use
> for merging commits/patches upstream in Imprudence. Basically, when
> the patch is ready, open a redmine issue (
> http://redmine.kokuaviewer.org/projects/imprudence/issues) and set it
> as "ready to merge" along with whatever commits need to be pulled in
> (if you can use git rebase -i to squash them, that'll make things
> much easier).

Yes I did read that long ago, and that's the plan.

> Since 1.4.0 is approaching its major feature freeze, OTR'll go into
> the next Experimental release after 1.4.0, then the next stable build
> after that. I recommend submitting any fixes/changes you think would
> be of value for 1.4.0, though, particularly for issues that don't
> have anyone assigned to them on redmine.

Day jobs have meant that coding on meta-impy has been slower than I
like.  There's lots of little things that should be pushed upstream to
impy, but lately we have been concentrating an OTR, as it's one of the
big features we need to have on meta-impy, coz people get upset if
it's not there and working, whether they actually need it or not.  Plus
I've wasted a lot of time on account management, the relevant impy code
is a moving target and I've not gotten anywhere with that.  lol

OTR integration will be ready when it's ready, then can be pushed
upstream to slot into what ever version you think is good.  Only got a
little bit of UI clean up to do, and an issue with using system
supplied libraries on linux causing a minor problem.