[impdev] Communications policy

Jacek Antonelli jacek at kokuaviewer.org
Tue Mar 15 16:33:32 PDT 2011

At our meetup last week, we discussed making some changes to our
project communication channels (forums, issue tracker, mailing list,
etc.), to make things more organized and easier to follow. We decided
that a good first step is to define a policy about how each channel
should be used, and to make that policy clear to our users. I'm
working on that policy, but I have a few things I would like to get
some feedback on:

  * What should users do with crash logs? I'm assuming that we'll set
up a proper crash report collection system eventually, but people need
to know what to do in the meantime. Should they file an issue, or
email us, or what? I'd say that reproducable crashes should be
reported on the issue tracker, but what about random/unknown cause
crashes?

  * How should users provide feedback about a release (stable or
experimental)? In the past we created a forum thread for each release,
but I think that should change. I'd say that bugs should be reported
on the issue tracker as usual, but other feedback (questions, general
complaints, praise, etc.) should be posted as a comment on the blog
post announcing the release. Does that sound alright, or can you think
of a better way?

  * What should users do if they experience a problem and aren't sure
whether it is a bug with the viewer, something wrong with their
system, or user error? I was thinking perhaps they should:

    1. First, check the knowledgebase/Q&A (when we get it set up).
    2. If the knowledgebase doesn't have a solution, get help from
other users/our support team by posting in a "Tech Support" forum
section or using the inworld group chat.
    3. If it turns out to be a bug in the viewer, check the issue
tracker for an existing bug report, and file a new bug report if there
is none yet.

  What are your thoughts on this?

- Jacek