[impdev] official contact person

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Tue Nov 8 07:02:09 PST 2011

On 2011-11-08 3:31, Morgaine wrote:
> It's an open source project, a viewer developed by an open source
> team, not by one controlling person.  Why would any one person need to
> be nominated as special, and made the burden of contact and
> responsibility?
>
> Should "any issue need to be addressed", it seems to me that it would
> be very reasonable to address the issue to the team, don't you think?

No, actually, I don't.   If I have something that needs to be dealt
with, I am not interested in sending mail to a list of people who may or
may not think that whatever it is is something they personally need to
respond to.  Nor do I want to have objections raised later that I didn't
contact the "right" person, especially since the team itself may not
agree on who that is.

> You know how open source works, Oz.  As the representative of open
> source within the Lab, perhaps you can explain it to those people who
> don't understand it internally and are trying to impose inappropriate
> hierarchical structure on third parties.

Neither I nor the rest of Linden Lab cares how the project organizes
itself internally or how it makes decisions - use whatever organization
or lack of it works.  What we do care about is having clear lines of
communication - by which we mean having a single point of contact
responsible for the communication; at the Linden Lab end, that's me and
I need someone at the Imprudence end.  I don't care if that person is a
dictator or a peon, so long as everyone agrees that they are the right
person for me to contact on behalf of the project, and that contacting
them constitutes contacting the project (so you'd all better trust
whoever it is).