[impdev] Initial experience building Imprudence + general questions

Bengt Gustafsson bengt.gustafsson at beamways.com
Mon Apr 16 04:48:33 PDT 2012

Yesterday I downloaded the imprudence source and built it. I had some
trouble as below, which someone may want to improve.
I think it is very important that it is reasonably easy to start
developing as many developers may be "lost" to the project if they can't
get things running quickly enough. Thus below ideas for improvements:

I'm running VS2008 on a win7-64 machine and I already had cmake
installed in the c:\program files (x86) directory, not in path. That was
easy to fix, but it would be even better if the py script could sniff
out where cmake is. This is however quite easy to figure out so it is
not very important.

I got the PRJ0019 error in the first build due to Bison and Flex not
being found. I had just downloaded Imprudence source and performed all
those prerequisite steps stated for Windows develpment.

The reason seems to be that cmake does not find the c:/cygwin/bin
directory created by the cygwin installation. It generates lines
containing BISON_NOTFOUND in the vproj files. I tried:

SET CYGWIN_INSTALL_PATH=c:/Cygwin

before running the develop.py script, but strangely this didn't help.
Maybe cmake decided that nothing needed to be done, I have no deeper
understanding of cmake, maybe it thought that nothing needed to be done
and missed the change in the environment.

Finally I resorted to running the bison and flex commands manually, and
then remove some build step in the vcproj files. I would suggest for
future convenience that you check in the indra.l.cpp and indra.y.cpp
files so that all users don't need to do these commands. On windows it
is painful to get it operating. Not many would need to actually compile
the lex and yacc sources... Hopefully this would remove the need to
download cygwin, I don't know what patchutils is used for, is it really
used in the build process?

----------------------

I have been building stuff in a VR rendition of Uppsala, Sweden in a
project called Encitra. This was quite painful due to in world build
tool shortcomings

My aim with this effort is thus mainly to create better build tools in
world. I have been working quite a lot in 3D CAD such as SolidWorks and
there are really cool things you can do in those programs that are
lacking from Imprudence and other SL viewers. I know that someone called
Qarl Fizz did something in this vein a few years back but it does not
seem to have been imported into Imprudence.

My question is basically how I should go about this type of development
with respect to source code handling, so that if I produce something
useful it can get integrated into the main source code tree.

I would also like to know if I should work in Imprudence or Kokua
sources. Or are they "mostly" the same?

Also I am a bit worried that the entire project could be close to dead
as there are no releases now for almost a year. Is there another more
active viewer project I should join instead?

Bengt (benke_g)

--
Bengt Gustafsson
CEO, Beamways AB