[impdev] http://redmine.kokuaviewer.org/issues/1126 encrypting passwords.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:39:31 PST 2012

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:28:56 +0100 Armin Weatherwax
<ArminWeatherwax at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Am Saturday 10 March 2012 00:17:31 schrieb Nemurimasu Neiro:
> > Using the MAC address is hardly encryption. There are different ways
> > of protecting passwords on different operating systems, all better
> > than combining the password with the MAC address.
> >
> IIRC the LL viewer 1.- linux code actually doesn't access the mac
> address and the drive uuid, but sets both to NULL. But its long ago
> that I last time had a look at viewer 1 appviewerlinux code.

It get's the MAC, but not the hard drive serial number, under Linux.

"Encrypting" the password with a simple XOR and the MAC was LL's idea
of a joke, er I mean encryption method.  They use it elsewhere in the
viewer to.

I think interfacing with various operating systems key chains should be
left for Impy 1.5 though.  I did bump it up to blowfish though, so at
leasts it's less of a joke.