[impdev] Maintaining Imprudence

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 04:32:25 PDT 2013

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:44:09 -0400 Maria Korolov
<maria at hypergridbusiness.com> wrote:

> David --
>
> Absolutely, thanks!
>
> -- Maria

> Maria Korolov •  508-443-1130 • maria at hypergridbusiness.com
> <http://www.china-speakers-bureau.com/>Editor & Publisher, *Hypergrid
> Business* <http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/>
> *The magazine for enterprise users of virtual worlds. *
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am just one developer, you should be asking your questions of the
> > team.  Can I forward your email to the development mailing list so
> > we all get a chance to answer?
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:42:56 -0400 Maria Korolov
> > <maria at hypergridbusiness.com> wrote:
> >
> > > David --
> > >
> > > Very cool! Great to hear that Imprudence still has some life in
> > > it!
> > >
> > > Will you be keeping the v1 interface, or upgrading to v3?

The general message I get from Imprudence and Kokua users is that they
like the Imprudence user interface.  There was a great deal of work done
by the Imprudence developers before I joined the team to make the
Imprudence user interface make more sense.  I like the work they did,
and I would not want to throw it away.

Other developers may have other ideas, but I suspect we are all on the
same page here.  The Kokua part of the team might mention their take on
this subject, since they started with a v3 user interface.

> > > And will you be adding support for the new export perm?
> > > Singularity has that code (
> > >
> > http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/03/avination-singularity-create-export-permission/
> > > ).

That link is dead.  A search turned up a teaser for that article, but
again the link was dead.  However, an article you wrote yesterday links
to that same article, and this link is live.

That new feature is not stable yet, and not in any OpenSim release.
The last I heard Melanie requested that viewer developers wait a while
for it to settle down before implementing it.  So we will do the right
thing and wait for it to be stable.

> > > And what will you be doing about the new SL licensing guidelines
> > > with respecto Havoc and pathfinding code?
> > >
> > > Will you be keeping that stuff out of Imprudence, and keep it
> > > OpenSim-compatible, adding it in and making Imprudence Second
> > > Life-only, or forking the code and supporting both options, like
> > > Firestorm is doing?

That was decided at a meeting long ago that I had missed out on.
Unfortunately the transcript for that meeting was never posted, so I
can't provide a link, nor have I read the transcript.  I hope that
someone that was at that particular meeting can provide some insight.