[impdev] official contact person

Borun (a.k.a. Boroondas Gupte) borun at kokuaviewer.org
Tue Nov 8 09:13:06 PST 2011

On 11/08/2011 09:31 AM, Morgaine wrote:
> It's an open source project, a viewer developed by an open source
> team, not by one controlling person.  Why would any one person need to
> be nominated as special, [...]
We're all special, each in our own ways.</sarcasm> But seriously, while
we are---at least /pro forma/---a team of equals since the retirement of
our then-quasi-BDFL (Jacek) from the project, that only means /equal in
rank/, but not necessarily that we'll all take on the very same tasks.
Some of us focus on different operating systems (mostly on the ones they
use and develop on themselves) or on different areas of the viewers,
some more on Kokua, others more on Imprudence. And we have team members
who are responsible not for development work but for communication
to/with the community (Codie) and, since recently, who are in charge of
administrative stuff (ZATZAi).

> [...] and made the burden of contact and responsibility?
Well, for one, to keep that burden off the others, I guess. Another
important point might be to distinguish answers of individual team
members from answers of the team.

> Should "any issue need to be addressed", it seems to me that it would
> be very reasonable to address the issue to the team, don't you think?
I indeed wondered whether I should suggest that inquiries like that may
be sent to one of our mailing lists (be it one of our publicly readable
ones or a team-internal one) and then whoever of the team would know
what to answer would do so. However, what would the inquirer do when no
answer follows? It could be nobody took the time to read his or her
message, that several people are still working on their respective
answers or that everyone individually came to the conclusion not to know
what to answer. So it might make sense to have someone dedicated
acknowledge the reception of the message, forward it to the team and
communicate the team's "official" answer (or lack thereof) back to the
one who asked.

Most probably, that one person to contact will be ZATZAi, but I think
we'll be able to give a more definite answer on who it'll be after
discussing this topic coming Thursday. Note that ZATZAi is AFAIK
currently without stable Internet access due to moving, so if you have
inquiries to the team /right now/ already, it might be good to post them
on one of the lists, anyway.

Stay tuned,
Borun